Natural light can make your home more attractive and welcoming. That’s why renovating your windows is so important. Traditional windows not only serve as an “entrance” for sunlight or as an aesthetic addition, but they fulfill other functions, such as making the house more comfortable according to the climate or temperature.
Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place at Better Window and Door! Here is our Ultimate guide to Renovating your Windows in Windsor, Ontario. It contains all the information you need to clarify your doubts and make well-educated decisions on window replacements.
Defining the Windows Styles
As mentioned, windows add aesthetic appeal to homes, but there’s an ocean of options to choose from. How can you find the right one according to your property’s characteristics and preferences?
You’ll find many window styles, from traditional to modern models with added technology. However, these are the most common:
- Traditional: It’s the type of windows you can see in classic homes, such as cottages and farmhouses. They’re often double-hung models with grills and decorative designs.
- Modern: These windows usually have a minimalist or “simple” design with sleek lines that complement the house. Many do not have irons.
- Functional: These windows are designed to fulfill a specific purpose rather than focusing solely on aesthetic value.
Knowing the Different Types of Windows
Besides considering style, you should also understand the options available. Overall, there are options when it comes to window operation and style. These are side-to-side, vertical opening and closing, fixed windows, open horizontally, or a combination of certain features. If you are looking for the best basement windows, for home improvement you can read that blog post as well.
If you’re looking for information about window types, you’ll find the following:
- Single-hung Windows, which open vertically by pushing a sash up or down
- Double-hung, which open vertically by pushing a sash up or down, but with double pane glass
- Casement windows, which open vertically to the outside
- Sliding windows, which crank open side-to-side
- Inward opening or hopper windows, which are ideal for small spaces and pull or crank down into the home horizontally
- Fixed or picture windows, which don’t open but become a decorative element by providing breath-taking views
How Often Should You Renovate Your Windows?
That’s another thing you should know to determine if it’s time to call a window contractor to start a renovation project. Ideally, you shouldn’t wait until there’s an window repair emergency and you need an immediate replacement. Therefore, it’s important to know the signs that your windows might need repair.
A draft can indicate that a window isn’t working as it should, for example. That means you should call Better Window and Door to start your window renovation project as soon as possible, so you can start to cut your household costs with window replacement.
What You Should Know About Replacement Windows
If your old frames are still in good shape, home replacement windows could be an excellent option. However, you should make sure these structures aren’t damaged beyond repair.
Replacement windows offer many benefits like energy efficiency, if they are energy star rated windows. First, you’ll be helping the environment by engaging in sustainable shopping. Plus, you can save, as they’re usually cheaper.
Do You Plan to Go Green with Your Windows?
Did you know that you can also go green with your windows? If you want to do that to protect the environment or just reduce your energy costs, don’t forget to consider energy efficiency when planning your window renovation projects.
You can make your home more eco-friendly by installing energy efficient windows. Besides improving your budget by decreasing your energy bills, they can help you fight climate change!
After the planning phase, things get a little more complex. The renovation process begins with correctly measuring the windows and the space where they’ll be installed.
While you can grab a tape measure and do this yourself, you can seek help from professionals to make this process easier and get accurate results.
Steps to Renovate Your Windows
Have you already measured the windows and the space where they’ll be installed? After that, you should take the following steps:
- Gather your tools, such as a pry bar, caulking gun and sealant, a power drill, safety glasses, and a putty knife
- Pull away the window stops, which keep the sash in place if you have a sash window
- Unscrew and pry off the window stop, removing it after that
- Remove the bottom sash and the paint, if necessary
- Remove the pulley system if the window has one
- Remove counterweights and insulate weight pockets
- Insulate empty pockets with foam insulation
- Secure the new windows using these tools: cordless drill, level, putty knives, hammers, caulk guns, and others
- Clean built-up dirt and chipped paint pieces out
- Apply flashing tape to the sill
- Ensure everything is level before sliding the new window in to ensure it fits well
- Remove the new window and caulk around the frame
- Install the new window again and secure it with screws
- Replace any trim
- Caulk to fill gaps and hold things in place
- Test the windows by opening and closing them to determine if you’ve done a good job
How Much Does It Cost to Renovate Your Windows?
Different factors go into the cost of renovating or replacing a window in Windsor, Ontario, including the following:
- The state of the window frame
- Glazing and coating requirements
- Labour and installation rates
Some companies also add window renovations to home renovation projects, which are priced per square foot.
Therefore, if you want to know how much money you need to renovate your windows, you should contact your trusted contractor and request an estimate.
Do You Need Help from a Professional Window & Door Company?
As you can see, the renovation process is complex and time-consuming. Additionally, you need the right materials and equipment. Therefore, it can be challenging to handle it yourself. However, if you think it’s best to leave your window renovation projects in the hands of experts, you can find reliable contractors at Better Window and Door.
We have extensive experience in window installation in Windsor, Ontario, and go the extra mile to get the best results for our clients. If you need help renovating your windows, don’t hesitate to contact us! We’re ready to serve Ontario property owners.